Saturday 8 August 2015

Review: Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock - Matthew Quick

Welcome back my lovelies. This is a review for Holiday Book 5, Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick, which was my 'Q' for my A-to-Z Challenge 2015. My sister, Kristi, was absolutely raving Matthew Quick's existence ever since reading Silver Linings: Playbook, but she refused to lend me her copy of it to take on holiday because it was the Ring to her Gollum, so I went to the library hoping to find it there. Of course, that was the ONLY Matthew Quick book not on the shelves, so I took out this one instead. It turns out Silver Linings: Playbook had been taken off the shelves because it was dead stock (?!) so I bought it today in the book sale. I am ever more excited to read that book now that I have read Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock and rated it so highly.
This book was magnificent. I very much enjoyed the way Leonard narrated as it really developed his character through his thoughts and anecdotal stories. It was also very poignant and heart-wrenching. Leonard is a rather unpopular boy who is going to kill himself and take Asher Beal, his former best friend and resident school bully, with him. But first, he must deliver presents to his four eclectic friends so he can go out with a bang on his 18th birthday. The stories behind these friendships are drip fed to the reader throughout the story through the viewpoint of Leonard, adding a personal touch. There is an undercurrent of dread as we wait for the suicide of the main character, Leonard, which is foreshadowed almost assuredly; this book is in every way tragic and moving, and compulsively readable. You'll be sucked in from the very first word!

Thank you for reading! Like, comment and follow, and until next time, auf wiedersehen!

No comments:

Post a Comment