Monday 17 August 2015

Review: Dracula - Bram Stoker

588495
Welcome back to my blog! Today I will be reviewing Holiday Book 7, a rather famous gothic novel, Dracula by Bram Stoker, the 'S' for my A-to-Z Challenge.

Ooh I just loved this! Not only is the cover absolutely brilliant, the story betwixt it follows suit. A chilling, sensual and exciting gothic tale which had me hooked from the very beginning.
I loved the format of the novel. It was written in the form of compiled letters and diary entries, using multiple perspectives and thus creating intrigue for the reader. The story is rather tragic as well, showing love and loss and all the raw emotions which are evoked by it. 
The one thing that did REALLY piss me off was the total dismissal of Madam Mina as a character by the males in the novel. Madam Mina was my favourite character, and she played such a massive role in the formation of the mystery, and then she is just swept aside by the sexist males. I know that this is obviously Victorian literature, but still... what was funny was how hard their plan to protect her backfired. But I shall not divulge for the sake of spoilers.
A brilliant novel! One I highly recommend, especially if you're interested in gothic literature. I was always spotting little details which played to the genre, and it made it all the more interesting to read!

Thanks for reading! Like, comment and follow, and until next time, au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment